Thursday, May 31, 2007

15 years after High School

15 years ago this week I graduated from high school.

And I was certain Super Ex and I would work out things and get married.

And I debated moving downtown but instead went to college.

14 years ago I met Super Ex for breakfast and he proposed we move to Vegas.

Instead I rented an apartment with 2 girls I don't talk to at all anymore.

And then moved to the Mountains to ski with 3 guys I don't talk to anymore.

Then went back to Super Ex agreeing to move to Vegas.

13 years ago I bailed on the day of the move.

And didn't talk to Super Ex for 9 years

So I changed my major.

And took a job with Staples. A job I would have until this past February.

12 years ago I transferred schools.

And changed my major again.

And drank a lot.

And made a lot of bad choices for the next two years.

Mostly because I was sad about my Dad's cancer.

And Super Ex.

10 years ago Mr. Pants & I ran into each other at a bar.

And went out on a date.

And fell in love.

I finished going to school - 8 credits short of my degree.

9 years ago Mr. Pants presented me with a gorgeous diamond.

I said "yes".

We moved in here.

And adopted Al & Bean.

8 years ago we got married.

7 years ago we almost got divorced.

Instead we adopted Boo.

6 years ago we went to Mexico.

5 years ago my mom started to get sick.

4 years ago I debated moving to Florida.

Instead I stayed.

3 years ago I spent most of my time on the internet trading old O&A bits.

2 years ago I again debated running away from my life.

But I stayed.

Last year I laughed more than I thought possible.

Was happier than I though I could ever be.

Today I am no where near where I thought I'd be 15 years ago (Dead). I am not married to the man I thought I'd be (even though I love him more than I tell him and he's the best guy ever). I'm fatter than I've ever been. Less healthy than I should be. Older, grayer and wrinklier than you should be at 33. My parents are old. And sick. My brothers and I aren't as close as we should be. I've weeded out the drama queens, the drunkards and sponges from my life, to a core group of friends I love. I don't worry as much about money and career stuff.

I'm older.

But happier.

And luckier.

And well loved.

This isn't the life I would have picked for me. It's mediocre, suburban, and boring. But I love it.

No comments: