Sunday, October 25, 2009

Girl you're looking at two big spenders

I had been kicking around going back to see Springsteen again on his last night in Philly 10/20. I knew I'd be going it alone, and I felt some trepidation about that, so I waited until the absolute last moment to buy my ticket and was rewarded with perhaps the best seat in the house (from my standpoint). Last row in the Spectrum - behind the stage. Sounds sucky, right? But it wasn't. There were video monitors and the stage is fairly open and Bruce was in full show mode... so he played up to the crowd even in the back. Plus there was plenty of room to dance - and man, I danced.

I really wanted to see "Born in The USA" preformed in its entirety. How could I not? Jeez, I don't know if there is an album that
encapsulates 1984 better than that one. I wanted to a part of the E Street band with all my heart that year. In 85 I got the Springsteen live 75-85 box set and I poured over the pictures and listened and listened and listened (I am fairly certain that I can recite word for word the 20 minute chat Bruce has at the start of "Growin' Up").

I got to the Spectrum about 45 minutes early and without Mr. Pants there to direct me, I wandered past my section, couldn't find the crab fries, and waited forever to pee. The plus side is without Mr. Pants there I was able to push my way through the crowd without feeling bad and I was able to read for a bit once I got to my seat. Having a book there was a great relief for me (when I'm nervous reading shuts me down) and a huge source of amusement for the people in my section, which led to a nice ice breaker, so even though I was alone, I felt like I was part of a common experience.

Around 8:20 Bruce and Band took the stage and ripped into the "Price you Pay" - which hasn't been played live since 81. Why they chose to play it the last night in Philly is beyond me, but it was a great night if you love "The River" - 3 tracks(and 1 outtake) from it in one night - "The Price You Pay", "The River", "Hungry Heart", & "Loose Ends" - if only "You Can Look (but you better not touch)" was played. Anyway they played and played and played... and Bruce was in great spirits - surprising me time and time again - with the soul he sang "I'm on Fire", with the opening strains of "The River" which forced me to send out several texts to people i haven't talked to in ages announcing THE MOTHERFUCKING RIVER because everyone knows that drunk Maria loves that song (if you've seen me bombed, you've heard me sing "The River" or "Glory Days" - what can I say? I'm maudlin). But the highlight of my night? "Spirit in the Night". That is one of my favorite songs EVER. Not just a Springsteen song, not just live, no just from my childhood, but from the moment I heard it until now - recorded a year before my birth - you could say I've loved this song as long as I've loved music.

I could continue to wax poetic about this concert and all of the songs on an individual basis, but I'll never do it justice, so I'll leave you here with a set list:

Setlist:
The Price You Pay (with Curt Ramm)
Wrecking Ball (with Curt Ramm)
Out in the Street
Hungry Heart
Working on a Dream
Born in the U.S.A.
Cover Me
Darlington County
Working on the Highway
Downbound Train
I'm on Fire
No Surrender
Bobby Jean
I'm Goin' Down
Glory Days
Dancing in the Dark
My Hometown

The Promised Land
The River
Long Walk Home
The Rising
Born to Run
Higher and Higher (with Curt Ramm)
* * *
Spirit in the Night (with Vini Lopez)
Loose Ends
Kitty's Back (with Curt Ramm)
American Land (with Curt Ramm)
Save the Last Dance for Me
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Thunder Road
Rosalita (with Curt Ramm)

And two videos - "Spirit in the Night" because I love it. And "Higher and Higher", which if you've never seen Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band - this cover is reason enough that you should - Bruce pulled a sign out of the audience, they worked out the keys right there in front of everyone and fucking killed - look at the fun the crowd is having - look at the fun the band is having - seriously. Catch them next time they're near you - you won't regret it.




No comments: