Tuesday, March 09, 2010

DId I tell you I had a Birthday? In January. Yeah, I never update.

Hi. It's been awhile, huh? Sorry. Not much has happened in the last 2 and a half months (holy fuck, why do I keep this blog?). Christmas came and went. 2010 showed up and brought with it my 36th birthday. 36. Can you believe it? I can't. I'm a grown up age. 36. I should have a kid or something (If I liked them). Or a dog (If Brownie liked them). Definitely a better job. Maybe a husband I live with. A house I not only own but I live in. You know, normal grown up stuff.

So my 35th year was one of transition. The first year I lived on my own, paid my own bills, proved to myself that I could be happy alone. For the most part I have been happier than I was. I made some new friends, and lost some old ones. Met someone special. Broke up with that someone special. 4 or 5 times. Lucky for me, he doesn't listen.

On January 31st, and that boy did the sweetest thing for me anyone has ever done and it resulted in the best birthday I have had since my Roller Skating Birthday or the McDonald's Birthday (10 & 6 respectively).

I awoke on Sunday morning, cozy in my squirrel PJs. We talked and laughed and loved a little bit then I drove home (still in my jammies), I stopped for muffins and lattes on my way. Once home, I read and putzed around until about 3 when I got ready to meet my bf at the movies - we had plans to see Crazy Heart.

We met at the local NP movie theater, and as we got up to purchase our tickets, he pulled out a piece of paper and said "She's a member". I have been talking about being a member at that theater for months and never really got around to it. We love that theater - it's a 3 screen art house type in the suburbs. The town it's in is really cool, a bunch of different amazing restaurants (From Irish to Indian and a whole bunch in between). I was so happy with the membership - now we can go to the Movies for $4.75! It was this amazingly sweet surprise. It would have been more than enough to have the membership.

Total Side Note: Crazy Heart is a great movie but I will agree with a bunch of folks that it The Wrestler with country Music, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Except Maggie Gyllenhaal - her motives were unclear, her characters actions were odd and I just didn't like her in this movie. But you should totally see it because, Bridges is going to win an Oscar tomorrow night. (In the 6 weeks it has taken me to write this entry, the only thing I can say is HA! I was right! Bridges = Oscar).

After the movie I went to pee and when I came back Patrick was acting at best a little squirrely - texting a way and being rather secretive. I couldn't quiet peg what he was up to, but I didn't really push it. We left the theater deep in movie discussion mode which is our way. We wandered across the street to a restaurant Em had recommended. We were talking and laughing and having a great time. The hostess took our name for the reservation and led us upstairs. As we got closer to the table I thought "huh, that looks like Emily. And Aham. Why would they be here together?" Then it dawned on me (I'm a little slow) Em, Noah, Jaime, Brian and his ladyfriend and My Aham were all there for my birthday dinner. I was shocked, surprised and really, really pleased.

No one has ever done something so kind for me. Patrick and I work together. We like each other, but he's not super friendly with anyone else. I am super friendly with everyone. To a fucking fault (see my next entry, why I am failing miserably at my job - coming in June at this rate). That he went out of his way to get everyone together for me was amazing. I spent the entire night with the goofiest smile on my face. For days (weeks, and now months) afterwards I have been raving about how much this meant to me. I like this boy. He's kind. He's sweet. He's my best friend. He's terribly, terribly cute. And so fucking smart. And this amazing dad. I'm a lucky girl to have found a guy like him. He made the start of my 36th year on this planet something I will never forget. I can't thank him enough for this or for all the other things he has done for me over the last year. Fate did a good thing for us.

Of course, knowing me, I'll dump him next week for no real reason. I'm bad at this.

No comments: