Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Suck it NBC!!

"Daytime soap Passions has been canceled after an eight-year run to make room for a fourth hour of Today, which will air on all network affiliates, though only about half will initially air all of Today in a continuous block, says NBC Universal Television president Jeff Zucker. The worsening economics of daytime soaps led NBC to choose expanding Today. Passions will likely finish its run in August, but NBC is discussing continuing the soap on a cable network (such as SoapNet) or online. Zucker suggested that NBC's only other soap, Days of Our Lives, is unlikely to continue past 2009."

That's from USA Today.

While I'm ecstatic to see Passions get the boot and JERk end up unemployed (thanks for ruining Days, douchebag), I am really sad NBC is dumping Days of Our Lives come 2009. NBC daytime is a part of my history. It was Christmas break 1986 when I stumbled across Days of Our Lives. Emma was murdered and Kimberly looked very guilty. I watched every day while I was on vacation and made my dad tape (with an audio tape because we didn't have a VCR) the show daily. I picked up watching Another World and Santa Barbara too, but only during summer breaks. I grew out of Days when Steve died... And really stopped watching when Kayla took up with Shane. I wandered back in around the time Sami was trying to get Austin (the first time) and followed through the delicious Vivian buries Carly alive plot (aaahhhh... Louise Sorel's Viv was awesome!). I headed back out when Marlena was possessed and John Black was a priest(?) or some shit like that. I kept and eye on what was going on on Days through the years, but I came back full time this spring when Steve returned. And now Zucker is saying they probably won't renew it after 2009. I get why... Soaps have big casts and are expensive to run, and don't bring in much revenue or key demos... But Days! I love it. Awww...I'm all sad now. Don't kill Days, NBC!!!

Mr. Pants is in AZ this week. I've been amusing myself with Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 7 DVDs in anticipation of the comic book form of season 8. So much suck, so little time. I found a lot of fault when this season aired, but watching it all condensed like this (4 or 5 eps a night) is totally bringing the suck to the forefront. Army of Slayers? Super Vamp? The First? Potentially dead Giles? Magic isn't crack anymore Willow? Buffy loves Spike but not really? Caleb? Yuck! It's like the writers decided to toss out all of the mythology that got the series to season 7. And not just the Vampire myths, but the slayer myth, the scoobies history, and Spike's backstory. I've always maintained that when Buffy died in Season 5 the show died. I liked maybe 2 eps of season 6 and 1 of season 7. I kinda feel like I'm torturing myself, but I want to get through it. It has given me a greater appreciation of Anya...she's been the best part of these eps.

Tomorrow night Violet & I are going to be rocking out at Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band. I can't wait. So I'm off to actually listen to the new album (which I bought when it came out, but haven't listened to since) but I'm hoping Bob plays a lot of the oldies!

I'm out... I'm having Top Ramen for dinner. Does anyone else remember it being called Oodles of Noodles or Ramen Pride when we were kids?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.