Sunday, December 14, 2008

Here. Take These.

I have never ever bought a gift for someone I've only known awhile. If I'm buying a gift then I know you well enough to know what you'd want. Mostly because I've asked you exactly what it is you want. I've written about my friend at work - our relationship started out as a mentoring type of relationship, he showed a lot of faith in me when I basically had none. He helped me become more sure of myself at work and quickly became someone I admired.

I'd like to say the election cemented our friendship. Suddenly I found that I had a whole lot of political views that I wanted to share. And share I did. Lucky for me, he wanted to listen. And share his views. Our conversations spread from election coverage to pop culture to personal stuff. I honestly find it almost impossible to believe that I've made a new friend. I haven't made a new friend since Dizzy - like 10 years ago. I'm very lucky to have done so at my age.

Which brings us to Christmas. I don't buy for my girlfriends. I don't buy for my brothers. I don't buy for coworkers. Basically I buy for the kids. That's it. But I wanted to get something for my new friend. I know a lot about him, and I am constantly recommending books, cds or movies. But no one wants a gift because the it was something the giver would like - the whole idea of gift giving is to give something the RECIPIENT will like. I thought I had a pretty good idea of getting him a book about the Phillies So last week I went to Borders and stood there staring at the sports books. Let me state again for the record, that I know nothing about sports. And even less about sports books. I couldn't find one that seemed like it would be cool or interesting. I did, however, find a book that I thought "I would even read this". So I picked it up. Brought it home and wrapped it up.

Cut to this week. We're talking about Christmas and presents and the subject of Amazon Wishlists came up. I decide to check his wishlist to see what kind of stuff he's wishing for (Nosy, Nosy Wishypants). And guess what?

The book I bought him is on his Wishlist.

I am so fucking proud of this fact...It is making me crazy. I totally want to give him his present just so I can tell him about my amazing gift figuring out skills. I am amazing!

Although I also got him a Me First & the Gimmee Gimmees CD, because I like them and it can't always be about the Recipient, can it?

But that leads me to a conundrum- we don't exchange gifts at work (or at least last year no one exchanged them with me). So how do I give him these gifts without looking like I am either excluding everyone else or trying to fuck him (which has been the gossip). I was thinking of asking him to walk me to my car next Tuesday night, but that seems creepy.

I have a sneaking suspicion these gifts are going to be returned ungiven. Because I don't know how to give them. I'll keep you posted. Maybe I'll just sneak them into his desk when he's not looking.


No comments: