Thursday, May 07, 2009

Thunder Road? Without the Lightning, Please.

Last night I slept the worst I've slept in a really long time. It was almost painful. I fell asleep easily enough, almost immediately, in fact, but then woke up with that scary "where the fuck am I" feeling. After my panic subsided, I realized I forgot to take my cold medicine and it seemed like too much of a hassle to disconnect myself from the bed, find some water and a glass (damn alka seltzer tablets) take the medicine and get back in bed. Plus I didn't know what time it was, so if it was longer than 6 hours before I had to wake up, I would totally be fucked and stuck in that medicine haze all day. So I laid there reciting lines from Pulp Fiction for awhile. Just as I started to fall back to sleep, it started to pour. The rain was really coming down and the thunder was rumbling in the distance. It seemed cozy at first. I was all snug in bed, a little neurotic, but no worse than usual, no panic attack looming or anything - Until the lightning started.

I probably should have prefaced this tale with the fact that I wasn't at my house. I spent the night at my friend's new home (which is lovely by the way). It was raining pretty hard all night, so I decided to just spend the night there, rather than make the long trip home (on highways!).

So, there I was, laying in a strange bed watching the lightning throw all these crazy shadows on the wall. The thunder was now booming and the lightning was flashing a whole bunch. I huddled myself into a tiny ball and turned away from the windows, repeating somewhat quietly "I am not a giant chicken". I resisted the urge that I normally have to lay on the floor away from the windows with a blanket over my head. Of course I totally couldn't fall back to sleep after because my heart was racing and I was all crazy headed. Hence the lack of sleep. Although I did crash fairly hard after work today. So, all better!

So that's my ten minute tale - I'm afraid of thunder and potentially the worst overnight guest you can have. At least I didn't hide in the tub this time. Alright I'm off to watch The Office and put my new monkey sheets on my bed.

No comments: